older posts

Show more

September Hot Mess = Success


Hi all, Today is the day to post our hot mess cards. As I said in a previous post, I'm good at the mess part. Maybe not so great at the success part...But I do try. This year has been a crazy year in itself and this month I had a new granddaughter. I took a week off to babysit the older boys while their sister was born and the holiday was the following monday..can I just say my days are running together and I've lost track of days and dates. I started out in August thinking of the mess I was going to create for Sept. I had bought a gelli plate a few years ago because I saw a technique using it and just had to have one....it has sat in the original packing since. So I went into you tube and researched gelli plate techniques. This is the mess for me. WRONG. It looked easy enough but it always does when someone is doing the video knows what they are doing... But 
undaunted I really tried. This is what I got.....



I know I can cut them apart and use them as layers but....ick I used blue, tan, black and silver....hard to tell that was what was supposed to show up. Back to the drawing board (I'm going to try this again later, watch some more videos and maybe be successful.)

So for my real creation I decided to use Tim holtz distress inks and a clearance Tim Holtz stamp I purchased at Hobby Lobby.called Hipster Osterich. He is so crazy looking he borders on really cute.
The set comes with dies to cut out the hat, beak, glasses and scarf. I colored up the image a couple times and used the dies to cut and layer the different pieces on the osterich. I layered the pieces popping up the hat and scarf. For the background I used the distressed ink and covered a piece of white paper with it. I then used a couple stencils making the ink darker in those spots. After the stenciling I used a little piece of the packing small pop packing (for the life of me I can't think of what it is called), and put that into the ink and randomly applied small dots in the more bare areas.. I hope you can see it on the picture. I had these outline die frames and cut one out in black like the base and one out of stenciled white paper to add to the background. I then popped the osterich up on mounting tape and put him between the two frames Lastly I used black enamel accents to make random dots on the front of the card.. I'm also not the best at knowing where to place them but I do keep working on that as well.

Here is my card created from my mess.



Thank you so much for stopping by, I do appreciate your doing so. If you get a chance. Please stop by the other Hot Mess blogs. I know you will not be disappointed.

Until next time,
Hugs,
Carol 

Comments

Darlene LeTavec said…
Woo Hoo, Carol - fabulous card!! This ostrich is wacky, cute and adorable!! Of course I love that you used the small bubble wrap to create the background!!! Way to go! Regardless of your first attempts, you really rocked this month with your creative ostrich!
aussie aNNie said…
Awesome cards and love that wacky one from your 'mess' awesome...love your creativity. xx
Carol, your card is certainly a fun one! I own that ostrich too, but mine has never been inked. I love how you took such efforts to add different messes to your design and it all adds up to amazing!
Love your final card - that is one "so ugly it's cute" image, and you have put it against a wonderful background. Well done. I too have an unused gelli plate waiting ....
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine
Barb said…
I think this card is awesome! Love the background and the frames are perfect with the cute stamp. I am so glad you are getting messy with us!
Shelly Schmidt said…
How fun is this image- love your coloring and framing, and really love your subtle background texture added with the stencil!