older posts

Show more

Hot Mess Success......

Hi today is the day the Hot Mess Success group posts their creations and what fun it is to check out what everyone creates. I have learned new techniques from watching Kelly, Jeanette, Barb. Terry and most recently Darlene  create for the last year. This month I am honored to be able to join these wonderful ladies in making a hot mess. I'm no stranger to "messes" however, being creative being messy....hmmm. I can't wait to try. 

For my card for this month I decided to make an alcohol ink background. I set out to watch a few you tube videos and get some pointers. Lately I have tried some paint pouring and it seems like this works on the same basis to a degree. So...I set up my table with paper underneath my project. In one of the videos I saw the instructor crunch up paper and add alcohol along with ink. Rather than crumple the paper I chose to use a diamond patterned embossing folder to create the folds. I chose 3 different kinds of paper to try this out on, Shiny white paper, shimmer white paper and prism paper. To be honest I liked both the shiny and shimmer paper better than the alcohol ink prism paper. 



I tried a couple of techniques in applying the alcohol ink and ended up using the apply directly to paper with additional alcohol added to spread out the ink. The top left is striping the ink over the paper (I need way more practice with that and the center lighter paper was using alcohol -ink- and paper towel and dabbing-smashing the ink all over the paper. This was pretty but again more practice to get a better effect. I did decide to use the purple paper under my hand for my card. I also used a silver fixative on this to bring in some shine. I die cut a piece of white paper with a flower garden type die and place the purple, blue, green diamond paper behind it. 


I tried to take the picture at an angle so you could see the diamond pattern in the back with the ink accent. As most of you know I'm a fan of sparkles and glitter so I added rhinestones to the center of the flowers and I used iridescent silver sticker tape around the outside of the die cut to set off the whole thing making it the focal point of the card. The rest of the card is pretty plain. I did have a mess once I was done. Ink on my fingers, ink on my work station and paper towels that are pretty messy as well.


 

Here is my finished card.. Thank you so much for stopping by. Stop by the rest of the hot mess crew's blogs and see what they have created. I am sure you will not be disappointed 

Until next time,

Hugs,

Carol 

Comments

Carol - first, WELCOME to the group!

Now about your card and messy technique - WOW! Looks fantastic!!!
Barb said…
Carol--what a great card to start off with us! I love the colors and the sweet overlay is perfect! Love the Colors. Welcome--we are so glad you are with us!
MiamiKel said…
CAROL! Welcome to the messy gals! And from the looks of your inky fingies, you came to the right place, LOL! LOVE your card - the background is super fun, and the white accent against the colors was a great choice! Super thrilled to see your card - you hit it out. of. the. park, girlfriend!
Darlene LeTavec said…
Oh Carol, how great is this??!!! (Pretty great!!) I guess I need to get with the program and buy some alcohol inks and try your technique. The purple color scheme is so pretty and set off perfectly with the white die cut and panel. Very pretty!
aussie aNNie said…
Absolutely beautiful and stunning card with the most gorgeous colours. xx
Loving that final card Carol. The embossed background adds to the reflections of the ink - I always use (disposable) gloves when working with alcohol inks.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine