older posts

Show more

Wedding Card box and Unity Candles

Hi all....As most of you know I have been working with my niece with special items for her wedding. We did 200 invites that I posted earlier and this weekend I finished up her card/cake box for her cards, her programs (which I forgot to take a picture of) and her unity candles...What fun this has been. My own dd just got engaged and was thrilled with the card box and thinks maybe she'll let me help with hers....lol...

I made the box from 3 plain round boxes...the hardest part of this was deciding on the right 3 to take. I did decided to take the largest to the 2nd from smallest...I then spray painted the boxes ivory and used a coat of pearl paint over the ivory to give it a shimmer....

Once this was completed and the boxes were dry (that didn't take as long
as I had expected). I placed the boxes one on top of the other and lightly traced the boxes with a pencil so I would know where to cut (held breath during this process....as I didn't want to start over at this point)...






I then cut out each layer inside the marks I had made so that I would have room for glue....I used silicone inside and around each layer. I cut out the card slot.... used the silicone to secure each layer and placed a heavy box on top of the "cake" and let the layers dry tightly together...I now had my "cake" base done....My niece wanted something simple and her mom had told me the colors of the flowers she was planning on so I began to decorate. I used sheer burgundy ribbon around the bottom of each layer and in the middle of the sheer ribbon placed a heavy ivory lace. I used the same ivory lace to go around the slot in the top of the cake. I then started hot gluing the flowers in place, adding of course some iridescent beads and pearls in for some special "auntie bling" lol (since I didn't use any glitter I had to add something special...heehee).






The bottom is the top cover of the largest box and can be removed to let the cards out. I liked the way this turned out...she however LOVED it...lol...I don't know if she knew what to expect (and I wasn't sure it would turn out to her liking but was relieved that it did...).

She came over on Sunday and we did the programs for the wedding and she had brought some plain white candles with for the unity candle...I had some pearls and other bling and we worked together to make these..


She wanted something simple and was pleased with the way these turned out....we embossed the "C" on tissue paper with white embossing powder and then heated the candle to adhere the tissue paper to the  candle. We then rimmed the heart shape with pearls and added a pearl swirl around the top and bottom of the large candle and then used the same pearl swirl to wrap around the smaller candles....all in all I have learned some new things and am happy that I was able to help in a small way to make my nieces wedding a little more special to both of us...We had fun working together and she saved some money as well...heehee..

Thanks for stopping by...

Until next time.
Hugs,
Carol

Comments

Lauren said…
Carol the card box is just stunning, what a wonderful keepsake. Love the candles too!!!
Barb said…
This is just beautiful--and I am sure your daughter will want one too!
MiamiKel said…
Oh my stars, Carol! This is positively beautiful! You are such an amazing and crafty girl - so ingenious with your masterpieces you make, and always for someone ELSE! You are a generous, beautiful soul :) I'm sure she was dazzled by this beauty - she's so blessed to have a crafty auntie in the family to take such loving care in her personal, keepsake wedding creations, handmade with love and lots of blessings! She's so lucky and you are SUPERBLY talented!! x0x0
kadie said…
Carol, you are AMAZING!! Wow, as if your egg wasn't incredible enough, you had to go and blow my mind with your card cake!! And those candles are stunning too! You're amazingly talented and oh-so creative, my friend!! Your niece is going to have the most beautiful wedding EVER!!
P.S. I'm going to tell DH we have to have a second wedding... :)
April said…
Wonder if I can adopt her too, Kadie!!

Wonderful, mdf!
Judy McMullen said…
Wow! Wow! Wow! What an an awesome "cake" card holder!! Carol, you are so creative!!! Love the unity candles too!
Terry Ladwig said…
Very pretty Carol!! I have made several card boxes for weddings but not a one turned out this pretty!!