older posts

Show more

January 2015 Duel--BIrth of a New Year

Hi all, It looks like I am starting the new year off on a bad foot....I had my card ready and had computer troubles so am doing this on my lunch at work. This month our lovely hostsess's were Debbie from the Dazzlers and Judy from the Divas. Here is the challenge they presented to us:

Birth of a New Year!

Greetings Divas!
Welcome to a new year full of new beginnings. Debbie and I chose “Birthdays” as the theme for the first duel in 2015. I can’t remember if birthdays have ever been used as a theme before and thought it appropriate for the “Birth of a New Year”! Also I had a little self-serving motive as January is a month full of birthdays for my family and friends, as well as, my own. And I’m always looking for inspiration for creating new birthday card designs. I had a lot of fun putting this kit together and I hope you find inspiration in creating cards from all the items listed here:

Paper: My Mind’s Eye “the sweetest thing” (3 sheets); My Mind’s Eye “Nostalgia” (1 sheet); 1 sheet Crate Paper

Images: Art Impressions “Girlfriends” (image and sentiment); Stampin’ Up, “Take A Spin”; Inkadinkago “Birthday Cupcake” (image and sentiment); Sweet and Sassy “Carnation”; Stampabiilities “May Your Birthday Be Filled”

Embellishments: Ribbon: variety from Michael’s; twine by American Crafts; Buttons: clear Stampin’ Up, others unknown; Faux pearls: Stampin’ Up and unknown; Flowers: Recollections and Prima; Brads: variety from Michael’s; Spinner from Stampin’ Up; Sequins and Rhinestoneand metal elelments unknown; Birthday tags from DCWV kit.

Do you have a birthday occasion that is memorable? Is there a birthday gift you received that was a favorite? We would love to hear your story!


First let me tell you...When I started working with the amazing kit Judy sent I thought maybe it was my birthday it was sooooooo full of goodies. When deciding what to use I looked at all the immies and chose the carnations as I am a big fan of carnations. I used 4 of the 5 sheets of dsp (a part of each), and a few of the embellies. What fun I had. Here is the front of my card.



And here is the inside of my card.

 

It took me forever to figure out how to upload the pictures. New programs always confuse me. Anyway enough chatter about that. Our second challenge was to tell about a birthday that sticks out in our mind or a favorite gift. When we were little my dad would take me and my sister and brothers fishing after supper. We would do the dishes in a hurry just to be able to go. Since my birthday is in June and we were able to go out and play and throw a line in when my dad would take us. Well around the time I was 8 or so my mom and dad gave me a fishing pole for my birthday I was over the moon excited to be able to go out and use my new fishing pole.......WELL my dear brother gave me the chicken pox for my birthday as well. I broke out before I could take that awesome pole out and try it out. Much to my dismay...my brother did the honors for me. (Actually I was furious when I found out he had gone fishing with dad and pirated my pole to use). Even though he got to use the pole first I loved that fishing pole and made good use of it.

Thank you for stopping by and checking out my blog. Now that I'm getting the hang of how to upload I will try and get better on posting....Please stop by all of the DDD blogs and see what they have created from these fun kits. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Until next time,
Hugs,
Carol

Comments

Terry Ladwig said…
I love the image you used on the front! Very pretty.

Great card as usual Carol!!
Judy McMullen said…
Wow! Carol your card is just gorgeous! Love that you used the carnation.. so beautifully colored and fussy cut and love the twine bow!! I'm so pleased it is a favorite of yours. I had to include it as the carnation is the flower for January. The inside of your card could stand alone. I love this sentiment and so glad you used it on your card.

Your birthday memory is sure bittersweet! Thanks for sharing!!
MiamiKel said…
Oh Carol, most gorgeous!! I love how you went with the flower image and it's such a beautiful focal point of your card - beautiful paper pairing, too! Love how you added to a darker (black?) background - it really pops!

Oh my on your story! Your brother - LOL! They are good for things like that, eh! Sorry you weren't able to break in your fishing pole and go fishing when planned, I'm sure you were able to catch up :)

Big hugs to you, my friend!
Glad to be DDDing with you! ♥
Melina said…
That image is beautiful and beautifully colored! Way to go! :)
Barb said…
Carol--this card was sure worth the wait! I love the card front--the design is sweet and I love the fussy cutting of the flowers! What a cute story about your brother too!
Barb said…
Carol--this card was sure worth the wait! I love the card front--the design is sweet and I love the fussy cutting of the flowers! What a cute story about your brother too!
Such a pretty card, Carol... inside and out! Love the flowers on the front especially!

Giggled at your story, too! Fun memories!